Wednesday 2 May 2012

The Lord is my Shepherd


Psalm 23 (22) The Lord is my Shepherd ………….. 1 / 4

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want. (1)
He make
s me to lie down in green pastures: (2)
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restore
s my soul: (3)
He lead
s me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.

Yes, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, (4)
I will fear no evil: For
you are with me;
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; (5)
You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, (6)
and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.


During their long History the people of Israel had many ‘Shepherds’. But, Shepherd, with a capital letter does not refer to the men who spend their days and nights roaming with the flock in search of green pastures for the lambs to graze. These other Shepherds were the leaders  of the people, the kings who reigned supreme, and the Religious leaders.

They were given the title of Shepherd, because they were expected to lead the people. The title still remains in the Latin form ‘Pastor’, we have the English word Pastor, in the Catholic Church we have the Pastoral Letters, issued by the Bishops, besides the term Pastoral work, and other references.
Those bearing that title were supposed to represent God. But Jesus knew, that not ALL shepherds were good shepherds.  As a matter of fact He said: “I am THE Good Shepherd,”  … meaning others are not.

The  Bible mentions the ‘hirelings’. But who were these ‘hirelings’ ?  They were men paid to watch over and take care of the flock. But as so often happens, the hireling, knowing that the sheep are not his, gave little or no attention to the fold. The true shepherd, the owner of the fold used to take personal care of each and every sheep. Imagine him spending days on end away from home, taking care of his fold, as if they were his dear children…./2

No comments:

Post a Comment