Friday 5 April 2013





HOW  SHOULD  ONE  START  THE  DAY
Personal Reflections:                                                                                                            Certainly, on opening my eyes, almost automatically, because I have made it my habit … and habit is second nature, I make the Sign of the Cross. When I was still a toddler I was taught to say that wonderful, simple prayer of the Guardian Angel. To this very day, that is a prayer I never leave out: “Angel of God, my Guardian dear, to whom, God’s love commits thee here, ever this day be at my side to light and guide, to rule and guard.”  Well, maybe it’s not the correct version, but that is what I pray…and it’s just as good.

But, more than that, I have come to realise that being a member of the Mystical Body of Christ, I am responsible for the salvation and welfare of others. So, starting from my family, every morning, and every night, I pray that same prayer of the Guardian Angel, but with some adaptations. I pray for my wife, (Vivienne), so I replace the word ‘my’ for my wife’s name: “Angel of God, Vivienne’s Guardian dear, to whom God’s love commits thee here, ever this day / night be at her side to light and guide, to rule and guard.”

For some this type of praying seems to be naïve, silly or stupid. Well, I don’t mind what anybody says, for me the most important thing is that I am praying for all the members of my beloved family … as I am duty bound. In fact I repeat the self same prayer for each of my four children, for their respective spouses, then for the dear grand children, brothers and sisters, very close friends, and for those who, in my opinion, have wandered away from the Father’s Home.

This way I will be in direct contact with God, every morning and every night. Praying, also, for those who are not so friendly with me has proved to be very beneficial, health wise and spiritually refreshing. If you bear any grudge or anger against someone … even if in your opinion it is justified, praying for such persons helps you to look at things, the way Jesus looks at them. If at any time, you are called by the Lord to settle accounts, you know, that this way, you will always be prepared.
Direct contact, or as it is called ‘a hot line’ with the Lord is so important during every second of the day. I can always whisper: “Lord, please, help me, this problem seems impossible for me, help me solve it.” Even during walks out in the country or, even in the city. I feel that I need God’s help every instant of my life. Besides, making the sign of the Cross, as often as possible… a Declaration of your beliefs.

I don’t know if the adjective ‘naïve’ is justified for such an approach. One thing I’m sure of, it is a very simple, childish way to keep contact with God. After all, was not that the advice Jesus Himself gave us: “Unless you become like these little children you will  not enter the Kingdom of Heaven.”   After all, I can whisper any time and anywhere a short prayer like:“Lord, Jesus, make me simple of heart.” I am sure HE is hearing me, and smiling.

One last thing; this type or style of contact with the Lord, does not make you look grumpy, old-fasioned, mediaeval … absolutely NOT. Meantime, I declare myself a very jolly person, enjoy cracking jokes (clean), laughing, always with a smiling face. I enjoy life to the fullest.  I know that HE is pleased with me, He expects me to live the life He gave me, enjoy and appreciate His Creation.
  




No comments:

Post a Comment