Sunday 7 April 2013

I WAS THERE

I remember, when still a boy, reading articles on a War Magazine, called ‘The War Illustrated’. These articles were reported by people who were present on the field of battle, they used to recount their experiences. Those of you in the age group 60+ surely recall these articles.

But now I have a different scenario in mind, a different battle ground. Yes, I, was there, over 2,000 years ago, when they (sic) crucified my Saviour on Golgotha; the battle ground between good and evil, between Life and death. Even YOU were there, though you might be still in your sixties, thirties, twenties or even less.

Yes I was there. But the question is ‘On which side was I ?’ Was I with the Herod Gang; those who try to make fun of Jesus, of His Holy Mother, of His Saints and His Beloved Church ? Was I with the Scribes, the Pharisees, the Sadducees, thinking, and behaving in a way that I know more than others, thinking that I have a right to interpret the Word of God as it suits me best, blinded with my pride and narrow mindedness, whilst forgetting that the Church alone has the right to interpret the Bible ?

Was I with Pilate, or better still was I Pilate, who chickened out not to lose his power, not to break his political relationhip with Caesar ? Am I not another Pilate when I don’t stand up to be counted and declare solemnly: “I am with Christ.” I am another Pilate when I do not have the guts to simply make the Sign of the Cross in front of others, or whenever I do not defend Christ ? I, surely am there, on Golgotha, whenever I fail to prove myself.

I was there when they (sic) hurled insults at Him:’If you are the Son of God come down from there, save yourself and save others.’ I am there whenever I have doubts about Jesus, His Teachings and His Church. I might easily be that thief who insulted Him, or that soldier who hurled the lance at Him.

I am there, and so are you, when we sin, whenever we doubt His Teachings, whenever we hurt our neighbor with remarks, words and looks, whenever we turn a blind eye at the sufferings and miseries of others. YES, I will be there, on Golgotha nailing Christ’s wrists to the Cross, beating Him with the flagrum. We were all there pushing down the crown of thorns in His sacred head. We must have been out of our senses, mad, and that is what we are whenever we sin, senseless. We behave worse than animals, we would be lost and wallowing in our basest elements.

We were there when we dumped His dead body in the tomb, and happily went out on our way, on our daily business because, we said, now He is dead and buried, we got rid of Him. How miserable we are, how stupid, senseless … do we not know that Christ is stronger than death. Why do we try to hide our sins in the darkness. Even nature revolts against us, for we can never feel at peace, when we are plagued with sin.

I, certainly was there, and hope you were all there too, BUT, with Simon of Cyrene, with Mary Magdalen, with John, the beloved Apostle, with the Women who always followed Him, and administered to Him, yes with Nicodemus and with Joseph of Arimathea.

The mask has come down. YOU were there, and so was I. I am there and so are YOU. But, with which group are we associating. God has no past, and no future, God always IS. HE is not bound, not limited by any time-frame. HE always IS. So Golgotha is still there, and we are still participating in the greatest human Drama of all times in History.

Christ must have seen me pushing down the crown of thorns in His sacred head … when I was sinning, maybe with thoughts and deeds. NOW is the time to decide. Take sides, but choose well … one day we have to give account for our choice. Then, I realise, TOO LATE and say: “It is my fault, because I was there.’’

I DARE ASK: “WHO HAS CRUCIFIED JESUS ?” ….I WAS THERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment