Sunday 18 November 2012


THE  SPIRIT  BLOWS  WHERE  IT  WILLS … (this time)… IN TWO HEARTS

Douglas Hyde was editor of the communist Daily Worker, in England, his wife was the co-editor.  One night they were listening together to a Soviet foreign minister, Litvinov, on British wireless.  Suddenly she got up, shut off the wireless, and said: “I don’t think he wants peace. I think he wants war. He’s just talking peace.”

Her husband said: “Don’t talk that way. You’re not talking like a communist.” She answered: “I don’t care what I am talking like, but I don’t think he wants peace.”                                                                                                                    “If you continue to talk that way,”  Douglas told her, “I will report you to the party and you will be disciplined.”

“Report me, I don’t care,” she replied.                                                                    “Do you know what you’re talking like ? “ he asked. “You’re talking as if you might become a Catholic.”  She said: “I am.” Douglas replied: “So am I.”

Here were two people editing a communist newspaper and the Holy Spirit was doing His editing on both persons separately and He changed them until they were both brought into the Catholic Church.

As the Holy Book says: “God works in His own good time and the Spirit blows where it wills.”


From:   "Through The Year With Fulton Sheen"

No comments:

Post a Comment