Monday 5 August 2013

TESTIMONY OF FAITH by Malcolm Muggeridge 1/ 4
Who is Malcolm Muggeridge

Thomas Malcolm Muggeridge (24 March 1903 – 14 November 1990) was an English journalist, author, media personality, and satirist. During World War II, he was a soldier and a spy. In his early life a left-wing sympathiser, Muggeridge later became a forceful anti-communist. He is credited with popularising Mother Teresa and in his later years became a Catholic and moral campaigner.

“When I look back on my life, my allotted span of three score years and ten already past, what strikes me most forcibly is this. Things that seemed at the time so significant and seductive seem now so futile and absurd; success in its various guises; being known and being praised; ostensible pleasures, like making money or going to and fro in the world, exploring and experiencing whatever Vanity Fair has to offer.

In retrospect all these exercises in self-gratification seem pure fantasy. They are diversions designed to distract us from the true purpose of our existence, which is, quite simply, to look for God, and having found Him, to love Him, thereby establishing a harmonious relationship with His purpose.”
(Mind you these are not words coming out of a person who has been declared by the Catholic Church a Venerable …though I believe he deserves that honour.)

”Old age is often called a second childhood. And it’s true in a way. I remember things that happened when I was a child much more vividly than things that have happened more recently. But when people see this second childhood as an intimation of senescence, I don’t agree; I am more inclined to think of it as a conditioning process for eternity, as accustoming one to the circumstances that one will move into.

Something else happens to me quite often nowadays. It sounds strange but actually it is enormously delightful. I have a vivid sense of being half in and half out of my body, as though it were almost a toss-up whether I am to resume my earthly life, or to make off and leave my old carcass behind me for ever. In this curious state, a sort of limbo between time and eternity, I have two strong convictions, as we shall see. … / 2

No comments:

Post a Comment