Wednesday 12 November 2014

COME FILL THE CUP  (33rd. Sunday)

What is the difference between a genius, like Leonardo and John, my gardener, who all he can do is turn up the soil and take care of the garden? It seems a silly question.  Or, is it? I wish I were a Leonardo, so does John, and, so many people round the world. Many do envy him; a scientist, a painter, an inventor … just to mention some. John might feel so insignificant, compared to him … and so would I. But comparisons are odious.

No, I don’t feel insignificant, because I know that what I do, though my work will not be recorded in History, like Leonardo’s, yet, I know that whatever I strive to do, I do it with love. It’s the effort that counts. John knows this as well. Even Leonardo might have known this, and I believe he has. The great Renaissance master must have been given many talents, a huge container and I was given a ‘tot’. 

But the test comes in the effort we put in to fill our container, irrespective of the size, as long as we fill it to the brim. The chap who is entrusted with the huge container carries such a great responsibility on his shoulder. The Lord in His good judgement knows the ability of each and every one of us. He knows John’s, mine and Leonardo’s. He knows how much I can contribute and that with great love and effort, I can fill my tumbler, my tot.

God is the universal Lord of all, He distributes His talents amongst us all (otherwise He would not be just) according to His good pleasure and judgement, because He knows our worth. We have nothing, except what He gave us. Irrespective to the amount we receive, our reward will be equal, if we make proper use of them.

That is why the Lord gave each and every one of us different talents, different containers … even a tot, or less. The chap in the Parable ‘who knew how strict the Lord felt so terrified that he could not act, he seemed helpless. I’m not excusing him, but he certainly lacked the love and effort to fill his share, to do his bit.

But that shows lack of trust in the Lord; in His mercy, in His help, in His compassion, and in His planning. This servant’s idea of the Master was that he was perfectly just and strict, but he has overlooked the fact that the Master must have been also perfectly merciful and compassionate. His inability to use his talents served as a condemnation to himself. He missed being one with the universal, eternal incomprehensible Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment