Tuesday 2 September 2014

WORDS OF WISDOM BY ST. THERESA OF AVILA … 3

I thought of the soul as resembling a castle, formed of a single diamond or a very transparent crystal, and containing many rooms, just as in Heaven there are many mansions.

There are more tears shed over answered prayers than over unanswered prayers.
Those who give themselves to prayer should in a special manner have always a devotion to St. Joseph; for I know not how any man can think of the Queen of the angels, during the time that she suffered so much with the Infant Jesus, without giving thanks to St. Joseph for the services he rendered them then.

The custom of speaking to God Almighty as freely as with a slave - caring nothing whether the words are suitable or not, but simply saying the first thing that comes to mind from being learnt by rote by frequent repetition - cannot be called prayer: God grant that no Christian may address Him in this manner.

To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.

I had many friends to help me to fall; but as to rising again, I was so much left to myself, that I wonder now I was not always on the ground. I praise God for His mercy; for it was He only Who stretched out His hand to me. May He be blessed for ever! Amen.

To reach something good it is very useful to have gone astray, and thus acquire experience.

I know the power obedience has of making things easy which seem impossible.

We can only learn to know ourselves and do what we can - namely, surrender our will and fulfill God's will in us.

The tree that is beside the running water is fresher and gives more fruit. … / 4

No comments:

Post a Comment