Wednesday 13 November 2013








“GOD LOVES YOU AS YOU ARE”

One of the most often quoted statements, and so often misunderstood, and explained is this: “God loves you as you are.” That is very true. BUT, what is the truth? Does it mean that God loves the drunkard and the criminal? HE certainly does. But, it does not follow that HE wants, wishes them to remain living as they are. Notwithstanding their weakness, God loves them just the same, and HE is constantly watching them and showering on them “graces” as a means of curing them, of saving them. BUT, and, it’s a big BUT, they must cooperate with those graces. Read the life story of St.Matt Talbot.
For, what use is it throwing life jackets, inflatable boats,ropes and what not to a drowning man, if the poor chap does not try to catch hold of one of them and thus save himself ? You might just as well send him a lifeboat or a helicopter, if the drowning man does not make an effort, try to accept help, in other words cooperate, he is a condemned man.

Reading, rather studying the life of Saints, we realise this fact. God keeps ‘chasing’ man, like Francis Thompson’s ‘Hound of Heaven’, not to bite him but to protect and save him. God has a plan for each and every one of us, that has been drawn out since eternity. God’s Divine Plan to lead me, Tony, to Him, is different from God’s Plan for you, and for that matter, from all other’s.

Yes, God does take into account my, should I call them, ‘characteristics’  ‘ingredients’ from which to produce the tastiest, loveliest, most delicious cake. Those ingredients are all the characteristics which make up my character, my good points, my defects, my nervousness, my lethargy, my love for such and such a thing, my abilities, my inabilities … my pros and cons. ALL these are taken into account by the Good Shepherd, to shape, to change, to transform a rebellious, silly lamb into a faithful one. The good potter breaks up the old clay pot and includes those chippings in re-moulding a new pot. This was the system used in Christ’s days on earth.

Could any one have imagined a person so rough in character, a bully, so hyper, in today’s jargon, always ready to be outspoken and challenge anyone who opposes him, or his friends … such was that fisherman, who was anything but intellectual. I doubt it, if he could read or write. Yet, God did transform him, re-moulded him, and ended up as the leader of the Church, Saint Peter.

Yes, we have to let go, trust HIM, and cooperate with His graces, and HE can make us all Saints. We are not expected to be a photocopy of any Saint. I am unique, and so is God’s Plan for me. One thing is needed … my cooperation.

No comments:

Post a Comment