Sunday 22 April 2012

Lectio Divina (B) continued…




1.     Read
After praying to the Holy Spirit, choose a very short Text from the New Testament. You can start with the Gospel of St. John, Chapter 21, verses 15 to 17:  “Then Jesus asked Simon Peter: ‘Simon bar Jonah, do you love me more than these …”
Do read these three verses, over and over again, slowly no hurry,  three, four five times over, slowly, digesting, feeling the words, imagine yourself being Simon, and  being asked these questions.

2.     Meditate
Then ask yourself, these questions: Who is the Author or Version of this Text? Who is speaking? To whom are these words addressed to ? Is this a Narrative or a Descriptive writing ?  Is it Instructive, Apocalyptic, Prophetic or Poetic writing ? What is the prime Message of this Text ?

Who is mentioned in the Text; children, widows, old people, women, Apostles, Disciples, soldiers, tax-collectors, sinners, the sick, etc ? Though this seems to be an easy children’s exercise, it, in fact helps us, to integrate with the chosen Text and situation.
Further questions could be: Have I understood everything ? Should I look up a Bible Commentary, Bible Dictionary or Notes,… or ask someone, a Biblical Scholar about something which is not clear ?

Then, pray to the Holy Spirit to make you feel and understand what Message the Lord has FOR YOU, through his Reading.   If needs be read it aloud, all over again, stopping,  pausing after every word. Put yourself in the picture. NO, Jesus is not addressing Simon Peter, HE is addressing you, me, Tony, Mary, ?, He is asking each and everyone of us.

Try to ‘LISTEN’ to God’s voice within you, He surely must be telling you something. Is there a particular word which strikes your attention, which gives you a ’flashback’ in the Life of Jesus, or in your personal life ?                          Repeat THAT particular word, I say, taste, digest that word … just like the Wine Taster, who keeps the wine in his mouth, savouring it till it lights a spark in his mind and then, he can,  pinpoint the year, the region, the type of grape and the rest. THIS is the exercise we have to do.

If you feel that you should stop for a short pause,…to pray for enlightment, for help, close the Bible, have a break, just feel carried away on the wings of your background music … till you feel the Holy Spirit urging you again to open the Holy Book and read that same Text all over again.

“Then Jesus said to Simon Peter… Then Jesus said to Tony: ‘Do you love me more than these ?’  In this short Dialogue, I find that the  most important statement is Peter’s when he said: “Lord, You know everything.” I place myself in Peter’s shoes ... or sandals, and think: “I must be on the look-out for what I say, because I have just declared, that HE knows everything.” 

What type of love do I have for Jesus, is it a ‘Soap Opera’ type of love ?                        Is it the type of love we watch on TV  or cinema screens ?                                                       Is my love for Him  unconditional love, or bound with certain terms ?               Do I love Jesus more than I love my spouse ?                                                                       Do I love Him more than I love my children, my parents, my friends ?

Do I love Him more than I love myself, my profession, my Bank account, my property ?                                                                                                                               Do I love Him only when at Church or when praying, or when I need Him ?            Am I ready to sacrifice my free time, my pastime, my rest, my sleeping hours for Him ?                                                                                                                                How long do I stay in dialogue with Him, as much time as I spend watching a football match, or a filmshow, or attending a party ?

Is my love … just ‘lip-service’ ?                                                                                         How often do I mention Him during the day, as much as I used to mention my first ‘love’ in my youth ?                                                                                                      How many times do I take up a copy of His “Love Letters” … “The Holy Bible” and read His messages ?                                                                                                  ANSWER:  Never, once a year, once a month, once a week, rarely … and do you call that LOVE ?
Is Jesus present in your home … and where is HE, is HE in the Medicine Chest … for emergency only ?                                                                                                                Is Jesus accepted as one of your family, a special family member ?                                     If He were to send for me, for you  … RIGHT NOW … am I ready to answer all these questions, positively ?

No comments:

Post a Comment